While respiratory illnesses are more prevalent in peak cold and flu seasons, they can be contracted all year round. Respiratory illnesses are contagious infections often acquired through droplets when people cough or sneeze. For this reason, it is always good to be aware of what a respiratory illness is and what symptoms to look out for in yourself or others around you.
Modern Urgent Care provides several breathing treatments for those experiencing respiratory symptoms.
Respiratory Illness Symptoms
Generally, respiratory illnesses are characterized by coughing, sneezing, throat pain, runny nose and fever. However, specific respiratory illnesses can have their own determining factors. Some of the most common respiratory illnesses include:
- Asthma: This condition causes your lung’s airways to narrow, resulting in wheezing, breathlessness, coughing or chest tightness.
- Influenza: The flu is an acute viral respiratory infection causing symptoms such as fever, muscle aches, chills, headaches, congestion and fatigue.
- Common cold: A common cold can be caused by several viruses. While its symptoms are similar to the flu — such as congestion, sneezing and coughing — these are less severe.
- Pneumonia: This respiratory illness occurs when air sacs in the lungs fill with fluid or pus and cause inflammation. Someone with pneumonia may have difficulty breathing, a rapid heartbeat, sweating, shivering, a cough with phlegm or fever.
- Bronchitis: Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial tube lining. Symptoms include a cough with thickened mucus and shortness of breath.
- COVID-19: COVID-19 is an infectious respiratory illness caused by a virus. While more information is still being found about COVID-19, general symptoms include a cough, difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, body aches and fever.
Available Breathing Treatment Options at Modern Urgent Care
At Modern Urgent Care, we can treat respiratory illnesses to help you breathe easier and return to health faster. We also have point-of-care diagnostic testing so you can get the definitive answers you need. All our treatments are available for all ages, from pediatric to geriatric care.
Point-Of-Care Diagnostic Testing
Our point-of-care testing offers timely and accurate results for a faster diagnosis and treatment. The following tests for respiratory illnesses are available at any Modern Urgent Care location:
- Influenza (flu) A/B
- Strep throat
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
While treatments for respiratory illnesses can vary, Modern Urgent Care has you covered. If you are experiencing respiratory symptoms, walk in for high-quality medical care, including:
- Shots and Medications: Modern Urgent Care offers steroid shots to relieve upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and reduce inflammation in the lungs, nose and throat. For children and adults hesitant to receive injectables, we have in-office medications available.
- Breathing treatments: We have nebulizer and inhaler treatments to help patients breathe more freely. A nebulizer device uses compressed air to vaporize medication that is delivered to the lungs. Inhalers are prescribed medication that can be taken home.
Your Time Is Valuable at Modern Urgent Care
Dealing with respiratory symptoms can be uncomfortable. Instead of spending hours in an emergency room, make an appointment up to 20 minutes in advance to hold your place in line at Modern Urgent Care where you could benefit from quick, convenient and affordable treatments. Visit a location near you to receive the quality treatment you deserve.